Google Malaysia introduced three new major enhancements to Google Maps, allowing Malaysia commuters to better plan their journey and look up real time information. The new major enhancements are two new layers, Traffic and Transit, as well as a Bahasa Malaysia interface.
Sajith Sivanandan, Google Malaysia Country Manager said by turning on the traffic layer on Maps, users can quickly see whether roads are congested or flowing freely based on color coding. Red is for choc-a-bloc, yellow for slow moving and green for smooth flowing. The new real-time traffic tracking features in Google maps makes it easier for drivers to plan alternative routes to their destination. However at launch, the service is available for roads in Klang Valley only.
The Transit feature on Google Maps provides step-by-step travel directions to travel using the public transportation system in Malaysia including bus, LRT, monorail and Komuter. Transit also gives users information on where bus stops and train stations are located.
Google says that the data used for the Traffic and Transit features is gathered from a variety of sources including the Department of Transportation, private data providers, and users of Google Maps for mobile who contribute anonymous speed information through Google’s traffic crowdsourcing feature.
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)