Proxy server is a server that sites between a client application, such as a web browser and a real server. It intercepts all requests to the real server to see if it can fulfill the requirests it self. If not, it forwards request to the real server.
There main purposes for using the proxy server are:
- to keep machines behind it anonymous (mainly for security)
- to speed up access to a resource (via caching). It is commonly used to cache web page from a web server
- to censor network services or content
- to forge transmitted content before delivery, eg: to insert advertisements
There are diff types of proxy server in generals:
- Transparent Proxy: it identifies itself as a proxy server and also make the original IP address available through the http headers. The generally use to cache websites but do not effectively provide any anonymity to those who use them.
- Anonymous Proxy: it identifies it self as a proxy server, but does not make the original IP address available. of proxy server is detectable, but provides reasonable anonymity for most users.
- Distorting Proxy: This type of proxy server identifies itself as a proxy server, but make an incorrect original IP address available through the http headers.
- High Anonymity Proxy: This type of proxy server does not identify itself as a proxy server and does not make available the original IP address.
You may easily get the free proxy server list from the Internet by Google it with the key word of “Free Proxy server list”. Or you may just access the following web site for the free Proxy server list:
Please bear in mind that when you use the free public proxy server, your transmitted data through the Proxy server may capture or monitor by some body including your login detail and password.
Step to set up the Proxy on difference browser:
Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> Network -> Settings -> Manual proxy configuration -> enter the Proxy server IP and Port number
Options -> Under the Hood -> Change proxy settings -> Connections -> LAN Settings -> Proxy Server -> check the “use a proxy….” -> enter the proxy server IP and port number
* Google Chrome is share the same Proxy server setting with Internet Explorer
Tools -> Internet Option -> Connections -> LAN Settings -> Proxy Server -> check the “use a proxy….” -> enter the proxy server IP and port number
Tools -> Preferences -> Network -> Proxy Server… -> Select what ever Protocol to use the Proxy Server -> enter the proxy server IP and port number