By default, window server 2003 only come with the 2 Remote client access, unless you bought the CAL license. (But not many of the company will buy). So only 2 active or disconnected session are allow in the sames time.
So when the 3th user would like to connect into the same server, he/she will get the error message of “The terminal server has exceeded the maximum number of allowed connection”
After googleing, found this solution:
- Go to Command Prompt
- Type mstsc /v:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx /f -console (replace xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx with the remote IP)
- Login with the administrator account
This command will log you in with the 3th remote connection to your server, you should use this account to kick out the rest of the 2 account before you continue your job.
To delete the existing connection you may go to task Manager -> users -> select the user and log them off.
The alternative for this solution is you can configure the settings on terminal server to manage the connections in a variety of ways. You do that through Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Terminal Services Configuration. Select the Connections folder from the left panel.
In the right panel you should see the available connection types. Most likely there will be an entry for RDP-Tcp (Microsoft RDP 5.2). Right-click on that entry and select Properties. Select the Sessions tab and you will see a number of options related to sessions. All of my drop downs were set to Never, which explained why they never timed-out. To solve our problem, you may check the ‘Override user settings‘ option and set ‘End a disconnected session’ and ‘Idle session limit’ to 15 minutes. I left the ‘Active session limit’ at Never since as long as you are actively using the connection.
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)